Director of Music Ministries
We are looking for a part time Director of Music Ministries. Please see the job description below. To apply or for more information, please contact the Church Office at 314-727-9540 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Select sacred music for each worship service, in cooperation with the Pastor and the plans of the Worship Committee.
- Perform for worship services (i.e., each Sunday at 10:00 a.m. and special services on Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, etc.). Generally, this includes: rehearsing and directing the choir; playing an organ or piano prelude, offertory and postlude; accompanying hymns, introits, doxologies, etc. sung by the congregation; and supervising other service music.
- Play for weddings and funerals, when available. Additional compensation shall be paid for these events.
- Conduct weekly rehearsal of the Adult Choir (currently, Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.). During the summer months, an alternate rehearsal schedule may be used.
- Support those leading Vacation Bible School, the Children’s Christmas Program and other special events and services.
- Recruit and encourage choir members and instrumentalists.
- Organize and expand the music library. Update choral music with a variety of music styles. Obtain performance permissions as required.
- Arrange for maintenance, tuning and repair of the organ and pianos. Report their condition and need for repair to the Pastor and the Property Committee.
- Be pro-active in enlisting guest musicians and in seeking opportunities for cooperative music ventures with other area churches.
- Administer the music budget. Expenditures shall not exceed the budgeted funds without prior approval of the Consistory. In consultation with the Pastor and the Worship Committee, make recommendations to the Consistory for use of the special music funds.
- Arrange for hiring a substitute musician when on vacation or sick leave.
- Attend church staff meetings and Worship Committee meetings.
- Pastor is primary supervisor.
- Partner with the Worship Committee.
- Responsible to the Consistory.
- Participate in the life of the congregation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of music literature appropriate for Christian worship.
- Demonstrated musical skills in piano playing and choral conducting for worship services. Organ is not required, but is a bonus.
- An appreciation of the flow of a worship service.
Hours & Benefits
- Approximately 12-15 hours per week.
- Office space, computer access & supplies shall be provided.
- Two weeks of paid vacation per year, (two Sundays) to be scheduled in consultation with the Pastor.
- Eligible for up to three Sundays of paid sick leave per year.
- Eligible for continuing education benefit.
- Health insurance and pension benefits are not provided.